Saturday, August 20, 2005

AAR - Primosole Bridge CG1 thru 15AM

July15AM: With 80CPP plus 4CPP left over from 14N I figure it is time to seriously go on the attack. I don’t want the Axis to have two Idle days in a row to reinforce their lines and this looks to be when I have the most points to work with. I figure Doug will go Idle (no real reason for him to attack) and I’ll use my second Attack Chit. I’m still concerned about wasting the one on 14PM as that leaves one less potential CG Date to play – and I want as many CG Date’s played as possible. I’m the one that has to take ground – Doug just has to delay me. My plan for this scenario is to attack out of the village (which I’m fortunate to control) and take the two East entry points away from Doug. From their I’ll roll up the North edge gradually taking each entry point away from Doug until he has to make his last stand around the B4 house. I don’t think there will be a problem with this (of course there will be) as I think Doug will spend more resources on the West set-up area then the East.

I buy 2 Coys of Lgt infantry (one on-board set-up), two troops of Shermans, a 70mm Batt. OBA, a Mtr Pltn and a MG Pltn. The Mtr and MG Pltn get to set-up on board for free. They go in the West side of the village to defend against any counter by the Axis across the vineyards. The OBA goes in S14 to provide OBA punch for my drive to the entry points. One rifle company starts on-board and in the village so I can get a quick jump on the entry points – maybe before Doug can react and stop me. Finally, the 2 Sherman troops enter from L28 with the 2nd Inf Company. 6 of the squads ride into the village on the Shermans and the other 3 (it ended up being depleted) either head west to the far copse of Olive Trees or CX it into the village to help defend the West side.

Right away I see my plan is in trouble. On Doug’s turn 1 he places a whole company of Pioneers on the Northern entry hex of the East edge. Along with what appears to be a couple more MG platoons. Rats, I’m going to have to grind this one out. He counters my 70mm OBA with two of his; a Batt. Mortar and a 105mm. Then he rolls out 2 88’s and another German Infantry Coy (I think these are the remnants of the 14PM Germans that get to enter because I had the village) that enters from the West side. Lots of counters, this isn’t going to look pretty. In addition, he still has a ton of Italians that remained after 14N.

Basically, thing go to plan. On the West, Doug sends the Italians slowly across the vineyards – assault moving then advancing. They don’t try a direct attack like last time and are content to dig some foxholes to extend their set-up area later. Late in the scenario and send a couple platoons and a Sherman to counter-attack. They do end up capturing 2 Italian squads but not much more happens (other then the Sherman bogs and then malfs the main gun). In the center, some mortars and a Sherman take care of the two 88’s. One never gets unloaded and the other one falls prey to a mortar as the crew tries to manhandle it to a better position. I’m happy those guns are gone because that leaves very little to counter the Shermans. On the down note, my 76mtr platoon manages to break and then eliminate the mortar. That ended up being a wasted 6 points. The real action is on the east flank. Both his radio’s end up breaking, and only one gets repaired (the 70mm fortunately). He ends up only getting 1 fire mission down – it beat me up in the center pretty good, but too late in the scenario for Doug to take advantage of the hole. My OBA gets about 3 missions down and does some damage – mostly to Italians, but the OBA hindrance helps me out a bit as Doug manages to put together some 36+ firegrouped shots into my line. My company sweeps quickly NE and takes the farthest south entry hex easily, but then Doug and I basically form up lines and face off about 3-4 hexes apart; blasting away at each other. My light company verses his pioneers. With all the hindrances from the vineyards and olive groves neither can really gain a distinct edge. Fortunate for me, the OBA causes enough double breaks that I do pick up a bunch of CVP; but they’re mostly Italians so he’ll still have a lot of German units on board after this scenario. The scenario ends on British turn 6. I’ve taken 1 entry hex but have caused 38CVP (14VP in prisoners) to his 4 CVP. I’m real happy about that, but am concerned about not taking that second East entry hex. Also, 1 Sherman was recalled and a second still has a broken MA. Also, two of the remaining five Shermans are bogged. We’ll see what I get to keep come the refit phase. I really don’t want to fight two Axis set-up areas – I don’t have the numbers to fight a two front battle – but clearly I’m going to have to come the next battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home