Thursday, November 18, 2004

Behold...an update

I don’t know if anyone is still reading this, but I should offer some sort of token update. With my recent acquisition of a new laptop, I’ll be able to offer more faithful updates to my ASL rounds as they happen, as well as any other notable game related information. I would still like to see this page grow into something more exhaustive, covering other gamers in the Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids area.

Since my last post, I’ve played several times. Unfortunately, I’m not able to offer a detailed blow by blow, and I feel that if I don’t go ahead and post a summary, I’m going to be hung up thinking I need to address these past scenarios before I move on.

I’ve played several scenarios with Chris Garrett as we finished up the playtest for the latest Journal. We played a French-Japanese scenario set in Indo-China with the Japanese either assaulting a small village or moving through to exit the map. Terrain included an embanked railroad and rice paddies, but mostly the rice was out of play and served to funnel the Japanese through a narrower passage on the map. I ultimately lost, but once again I learned a lot and am feeling more and more comfortable with things. I still forget a lot of stuff, but the increased frequency of playing is drilling it into my head.

After we finished that scenario, Chris agreed to play a Red Barricades scenario to help me get back into the mindset of Stalingrad. I had arranged to start the full Campaign Game of Barricades with Steve Garvey, another local I met at ASLOK through Jeff DeYoung. Since it had been some time since I’ve played on the RB map, the practice would help. I took the Germans on RB1, essentially just like the start of the Campaign Game with the Germans assaulting the north side of the map as they move into the factory complex. We only finished one turn in an abbreviated playing, and then two more turns on a subsequent playing. Highlights (for me) include a Stuka dive bomber attack that took out an emplaced T-34 tank turret, and a fairly successfully push to get across the first east-west road before the complex. I’m by no means comfortable, but at least I’m still in the game.

In the meantime, I started the first CG date with Steve. Since we are set up at my house, I am the Russian player (that way I can work on defensive set-ups prior to his arrival, saving time). We completed three turns on the first day, and I have to say it has been a horrible day for the German player. Casualties thus far – 13.5 squads dead, four leaders dead, one dead tank, four immobilized tanks (two abandoned by the crew), one halftrack in flames, and three stunned halftracks. The Russians have lost 2.5 squads. Unfortunately for Steve, my anti-personnel and anti-tank mine placements seemed to have been effective, as he’s hit about every spot I’ve mined. The tide has turned to the point where I am considering a Russian counter attack when we resume.

Finally, I played a scenario with Jeff DeYoung called Tip-Off at Taurragon. This was an early war scenario with the Germans (me) assaulting across a couple of bridges into a prepared Russian position. It was a great session, with lots of destruction on both sides. The Germans were gaining ground but probably paying too high of a price. While I think the Russians had a slight edge by the time we had to quit, it was quite possible for the Germans to break through given the position. We picked it up when time was called.

Coming up this weekend, I am playing a German-Pole scenario at Jeff’s house from the latest Schwerpunkt magazine. I will be the Poles with a prepared defense while the Germans try to roll through my positions and escape from the map. That one will have a more detailed write up. The RB Campaign will pick up again after Thanksgiving, and I’m still working on the RB scenario with Chris G. So lots more updates to come.

I’ve never played so much ASL, and when I moved up here, I thought I’d end up playing a lot less, if at all. I have to say Michigan has been kind to me so far.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger asler said...

I'm still reading it ;) Always interesting to hear the "rest of the story".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home